Skip to main content

Banters from a Youth in Dystopian times..

There was this guy I knew a few years back. Not that I knew him much but we were in general talking terms. He was the kind of person who in general gave out the aura of being in an eternally doped stage, with occasional banters that earned him the fame of being an intellectual lunatic. One day I caught him in the middle of his banters. With blood shot eyes, he started mumbling something. Well, banters are something that does not demand audience per se, although it would not be too bad if banters were heard, even if not supported.
He called me, “Hey you budding economist! What’s up? Repo rates up, down or sleeping in your pockets?”. I, unable to find a suitable witty answer to this, tried to say something in the lines—that I am not an economist, you know. Like doctors or engineers getting a degree becomes doctors, engineers etc, but not the poor students of economics….even a post doctorate does not make anyone an economist. He asked me what I meant. Well, I mean, I could become a PO, a professor, a banker, a risk analyst, a journalist,  a painter, a cinema director…but may not be an economist…you know those who claim to be economist after graduating are bullsh……He cut me short… “you know we are a lost generation”
I looked at him, “Excuse me?”
He continued without paying heed to my question, he trailed on---“The problem is we do not have a crisis…an existential crisis I mean. And unless we have a crisis, we aren’t really fighting for anything or standing up to anything. Our parent’s generation was the last to fight for anything meaningful and then they fought to uproot anything that we could fight for. They earned enough for us to live our lives till we started becoming anything…well what we become didn’t matter really. You could be a doctor, actor, singer, writer and a host of analysts, analysing a lot of data. You could become a statistician or keep on solving unsolved riddles in math. We could buy a camera and started becoming photographers, taking photographs of cows, clouds and lost souls smothered in ash but none of it counts because we aren’t actually doing something meaningful….” He paused.
I tried to protest with a few not-so-pessimistic views and he continued his banter. “ the crisis, I say is important, because it is like a touch stone. Without a crisis you do not know your passion. Would you still keep on painting if your head hangs under a guillotine? Would you still study physics if your church comes and says, that you either say the sun goes around the earth or you die or have a bottle of hemlock..”
I tried to cut short… “you are confusing Galileo and Socrates”
His eyes looked to somewhere in the canteen roof blankly and he uttered ‘Immaterial’.
“you know we have become palimpsests… we say whatever people around us say, we do whatever is trendy…”
I tried to interject “ Don’t say that .. we still have protests nowadays… we walk the streets..”
“Yea with candle lights and then put up a post ‘ feeling revolutionary’ ..”
--“not really, we have stood up for causes”
He gave out a short hysterical laugh….”Did that cause really matter to you? Did it boil your blood to the extent that you could go and shoot the person you are feeling angry against?”
“But…but ...that’s not civil”, I mumbled.

“Could you go and kick the gut of the rapist you so hate and detest and hold in spite”
“That’s dangerous…I mean, I would want to…maybe but I would not actually do it..”

“precisely… we are a lost generation… we do not even know how to love… we do not know what it is to love in the time of war, to love and to fight, to love and to build, to love and to lose…to love and to vote, to stand for rights..we have lost it..we are losing it and will become vegetable soon..we..”

I knew I must leave. I was feeling inferior …and I did not definitely know inferior to whom? To long lost lovers, revolutionary or fighters….but then these are the banters of a lunatic…

“Perhaps a lunatic was simply a minority of one. At one time it had been a sign of madness to believe that the Earth goes round the Sun….. He might be alone in holding that belief, and if alone, then a lunatic. But the thought of being a lunatic did not greatly trouble him”… the horror was that he might also be right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A CONVERSATION WITH THE ZEROETH DIMENSION

                                               (1) It used to happen around this time of the year. A friend’s shadow peeped into my room. It kissed my diaries, played with my pens, Danced upon my desk… as if to remind me of his camaraderie with them. as if to assure me--- ”The winters past, life is here to stay” The chiaroscuro of broken shadows and the sun filtering through its leaves silently sat through whatever I had to say. Scribblings of my would-be-poems; secrets and distorted thoughts childish whims that crossed my mind… …he heard it all.  But what he heard the most were my fears-- Fears, which needed no solution. Fears, which had no solutions. But Fears that needed to be spoken to .  If there were those nights of dark and murky fears, there were sunny days too. There was a day when I first fell in love. And to make my friend a part of my happiness I tied a red ribbon around its lowest branch…                                         

BLOOD ROMANCE

It was his idea to skip the main road and go for adventure at the middle of the night. Her mood was already bright as she laid her head on his shoulder. Driving through the woods, suddenly the tyre went flat. It was an abrupt jerk. Comprehending the situation, they both felt elated. Except the slow waltz that played in their car, everything was quiet. Wasn’t this what they both wanted? Albeit, for different reasons. Quelling their excitement, they wore the well-rehearsed masks of fear and disgust for getting caught in this unwanted situation. She had carried the knife hidden securely beneath the drapes of her dress as was his lust, veiled by the clemency of his innocent blue eyes. Already in her 40’s, her body exuded the rare combination of sensuality, intelligence and beauty. As an artist, she always had her muses in younger men---guys in their 20’s. The passion that these men enthused kept her adrenaline gushing and her arts towered to their crescendo. Her paintings were vividly

In conversation with myself on a midnight trying to mend a broken heart

Let me for the first time,lay in your absence in an empty bed, trying to fully process your loss.Let me for the first time accept that i had fallen in love with you.That said,a silence falls upon my heart.'Cause i have never quite owed up to loving someone as easily as   i did about you. And never quite have been misjudged for it. i couldn't bring myself to hate you. i lay sometimes in between the areas of love and not so love.Maybe you can call it hate. And i am in a proces of deleting the hate to see how much i had loved you. i am surprised by it. Kindering an emotion so strong in my broken soul must have taken some magic. Unravelling, for me was never an easy task.   Surrendering, could have been an option but i have been hurt too many times & in too many places, hating too many people in the process. and when i remove those hatred, i see you in a different light. Naive and as keen as me to receive love. But then what went wrong? Another  world could ha